Post Graduate Work Permits
Temporary Resident Visas (TRV)
International students who complete a post-secondary education in Canada are eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit. This permit is an Open Work Permit allowing them to work in ANY job, without restrictions. An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not needed to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.
a) Eligibility Criteria
- have studied full-time for the eight months preceding the completion of their program (please see note below) and must have graduated from one of the following:
- a public post-secondary educational institution (university, college, or CEGEP)
- a private post-secondary educational institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions, and receives at least 50 per cent of its financing for operations from government grants
- a Canadian private educational institution authorized by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees
- apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation from their academic institution that they have met the requirements of their program.
- have completed and passed the program of study and received written notification that they are eligible to obtain their degree, diploma, or certificate
- have a valid study permit when applying for the work permit
Important: If a graduate does not apply within 90 days or falls out of status by allowing their study permit to expire, they will not be eligible to apply for a post graduate work permit. It is important to apply within 90 days of confirmation of graduation and BEFORE your study permit expires. If your study permit will expire before you graduate, you must apply for an extension.
b). Potential applicants should note that:
While studying in Canada you must:
- Make progress towards completing your program
- Respect any conditions listed on your study permit
- Stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
- Leave Canada when your permit expires